Wednesday, January 19, 2011

We committed her to baptism!

Yeah, I do think I have a sinus infection.  Sunday I woke up with a sore throat, so I was downing throat lozenges all day.  I was able to talk and everything fine.  And I didn't tell Sister Chen until after church.  Monday I woke up with a stuffy nose, and my sore throat was a lot better.  I called Sister Doll and she said to take Sudafed round the clock.  So that's what I've been doing.  I can only take 4 doses a day, which means every six hours I'm taking medicine.  But yesterday was bad.
I felt like crap all day, and we didn't have time to rest either.  We got out of the apartment late because we had so many lessons to plan for.  We went straight to Debra's (an investigator since April) and shoveled her walk.  I was in my fleece nylons which have holes in them, (I wear them every day and wash them on pdays) my big winter coat, my wool scarf, my hat and two paris of gloves and I was SOOOOOOOOO hot!  I left them on though.  But I was so tired because under the snow was ice, and no matter how hard I tried I couldn't get rid of the ice.  So I told her that she'd have to put salt on it.  But we committed her to baptism!  We talked about being baptized by the proper authority, and how she knew our church had it or else why would she ask for so many stinking blessings?  (She's had four or five since Octoberish).  And if we have the proper authority, then Joseph Smith is a true prophet, and if he's a true prophet then the Book of Mormon is real.  She agreed with us that she believed the Book of Mormon was real!  Finally!  So she's getting dunked on the 18th of February.  We would do next week, but she's having surgery on her broken wrist tomorrow.  You think I have health issues?  Oh man you have no idea until you meet Debra.  But we love her!
Then right after her we went to Luna.  Sister Hammer referred her.  She's not interested in joining the church but we're "practicing" the lessons with her.  Or so she thinks.  We're forming the lessons to fit her need specifically and make her think about some things.  Like yesterday we taught about families using the Family a Proclamation... yadayada.  And how families are eternal.  She's thoroughly convinced that families aren't eternal.  She'll know her husband in heaven, but their relationship will be brother and sister.  Same with her kids.  How sad is that?  We even used 1 Peter 2:7 which states that we will be in heaven with our spouse to have eternal glory.  But she thought that meant glory here on earth.  It's so sad to see that. Because she loves her family and loves a lot of things about the church, like FHE and she loves Brother Hammer.  She wishes her husband was more like that.  And he's like that because of the church, because we understand families are forever.  So that was a frustrating lesson.  But Luna is so nice and wonderful!  I can't get mad at her, only feel bad that she won't pick up the Book of Mormon and give it a chance.
Then right after that we went clear to Aurora, at the end of our area to visit a LA, Connie, who's daughter (17) was going to get married in April, and we were teaching her fiance (also 17 [dumb and stupid, I know]).  Well Connie was sick, but we taught her anyways.  She told us really weird things like how she hears good and bad spirits, and she wanted to know how she could tell the difference between when they were good and when they were bad.  We used Moroni 7, and told her to slow her life down.  That was an exhausting appointment.
Then since we hadn't tracted all day, we tracted for 15 minutes before our dinner apppoitment.
Dinner was good.  For dessert we had fondu!  Oh the good memories that brought back!  Then we went tracting again, and oh my gosh!  Christians can be soooooooo mean!  We had one guy slam the door on us!  And he was a Christian!  Are you serious?  But we did meet a nice Mexican who invited us back.  So that's good.  Then we were driving past a street with three houses on it, and I had the impression to stop there and tract before going home (it was 8:20ish.)  So we stopped.  In the middle house there was a Muslim teen.  He was so firm in his belief.  But we had a good conversation with him.
But the whole day I was in pain.  And whenever I ate I didn't feel good.  And ever since Monday night I've woken up at around 1:30 and couldn't' go back to sleep until 3ish.  So I would read letters I hadn't read or write in my journal, or last night I read my blessings again.  But last night was bad.  I was determined to stay in bed.  But I woke up at 1:20ish in so much pain.  So I got up took some sudafed, laid back down, and was still in a lot of pain.  At 2:20 I was still in a lot of pain.  So I got up, took some Advil and noticed that when I wasn't laying down I felt better.  So that's when I lit a candle, so I wouldn't bother Sister Chen and read my blessings. I didn't feel good.  I hate it!!!!  I started crying after 20 minutes.  Sister Chen got up and told me to go to bed.  So I did...crying.  By then it was 4ish.  I was able to get asleep.  Only to wake up 2.5 hors later.  I was so frustrated.  I hadn't gotten a good's nights sleep since Saturday night, and I was sick.  My sinus’ do feel better, but I still have a stuffy nose.  But this morning I cried good.  And reading your email I cried some more.
I agree with you Mom.  I do need a change.  Whether it's a new companion or a new area.  I love Sister Chen, she's taught me so much, but I do need change.  And we've been through some together.  But we both think we're getting split in two weeks.  But I don't know how to work hard and relax.  Especially since Sister Chen doesn't need to rest...EVER!!!  It's so crazy!
Oh and I've also been frustrated because so many people have such hard hearts and won't humble themselves!  But we do have five people on date.  Jose is getting baptized this Saturday!  And here is what I wrote to president this week.  I'l past it here cuz I don't have time to write it all again...

"With those investigators who have a baptismal date, well we're excited for them.  We will have to push at least two back though, Bill and Frank, because of Word of Wisdom problems, and for Bill he doesn't really have a desire to read the Book of Mormon or even to stop drinking coffee.  When we taught the Word of Wisdom to him he thought there was no problem with drinking coffee.  It was my first time teaching someone the WOW who didn't have a strong testimony of Joseph Smith.  But we're getting Bill into member's home, which I think is helping.  Although those lessons do tend to be long, because the members out here love talking and teaching.  It is nice to have someone besides us teaching him though.  He get's to see how the gospel can bless individual lives.  And I think he's seeing how happy and simple a Mormon's life is.  And he keeps coming to church, which is good!
Jose will be baptized this Saturday at 10 am.  We're really excited for him.  I've seen a change in him since we started teaching him.  He knows more about the Book of Mormon and our basic doctrines.  I see more love in his eyes.  I know that sounds weird, but I can just see more love of life and of people and of God in his eyes.  We only taught him for about a month, but he's ready!  And he has good friends in the ward!
Lexi is going to be baptized next month.  She's 13, and her step-mom is a member.  Lexi believes the church is true and everything, but she grew up Catholic, and so is torn between the two.  I see her interact with the YW in the Wheaton ward, and it's like she's already a member of the church the way she interacts with them.  She's more comfortable with them than I was at age 13 when I was in YW, and I was even a member!  We believe she just needs more confidence in her decision.
Yesterday we committed Debra to baptism...again.  But we're pretty sure this one won't fall through.  We finally helped her come to realize that she had a testimony, even though it's small, in the Book of Mormon.  There are some things that she's not 100% comfortable with, such as giving boys the power of God at such a young age, and how come there's not one person who has the authority to baptize, how come there are so many?  I think she was concerned with us giving the Priesthood to so many boys and men.  But we explained to her why we did that and how it made boys more responsible.  So I think she's better with that.  And she has a lot of friends in the ward.  She wants to meet with the bishop, and actually received a blessing from him on Sunday.  She's having surgery tomorrow.
We're very excited for these people to get baptized!!!!   Elder Scott said something along the lines of "Be thankful that the Lord let's you struggle for a long time before you receive an answer."  And I think that's what He did with me.  For the first two transfers here I saw no progress, no success.  And now I'm slightly overwhelmed with all the success we're having!  I love it though!
So that's everyone we have on date.  I'm worried about Bill.  I don't want to loose him, and he doesn't really have a desire to read.  But he's VERY receptive to the spirit...at least when we’re there.  He feels it.  And when we shake his hand good bye I can tell he respects us and likes what he's hearing.  He just doesn't have that desire!"

I HATE SATAN!  I HATE SATAN! I HATE SATAN!  And I hate winter...but that's another story.  I will go see a doctor.  But probably not today.  Sister Chen wants to spend an hour at Walmart.  She as 60 dollars to spend there and doesn't really know whats in that place.  So I will be wandering around wally world for an hour today.  Joy, I know!  I'll switch ANYONE spots!  Then I'm teaching her to make her favorite soup, cheddar broccoli.  Then I"m sleeping!  Well attempting to.  But I'll talk to Sister Doll.  If I don't feel better by tomorrow I'll call her.  Or I'll call her tonight.  But I do feel better today.  I don't know if it's because I took sudafed and Advil at the same time.

That's cool that Saydi is going to apply for Jerusalem!  I'm so jealous!  And I loved all the letters you send me!  They were awesome!  And thanks for all those pictures! 
Okay, times up.  Hope this was long enough!!!!
Love Sister Ostler

1 comment:

  1. How are you feeling now, Amanda? Hope you got to the doc. Can you Baptize? Love your Blog and thanks to your mom for updating it too!
    Lots of love and hugs to you!

    ReplyDelete