Wednesday, October 5, 2011

General Conference Edition

Dear Family:

OH!  Super sad about Buddy!  He was such a good dog!  Where was his shock collar?  And what a good sister Saydi is for helping out Wilson.  Yep, you'll see Buddy again!  All animals have spirits.  Except flies and fruit flies.  They don't.  But dogs do.
Thanks Dad for your words.  Yeah, it's been hard...the rejection.  And I know that they're not rejecting me.  But it's just hard to bear your testimony and have a door slammed on your face, or they say, "That's nice, but you're crazy."  Well they don't say that, but they think it.  Even Sister Doll thought mormons were crazy until she received her answer.
Mom, here's the deal.  I don't need anymore clothes, I promise!  Sister Bingham patched them up for me.  So we're going to play a game.  When you're at the store and you see something cute, look how much it is, write it down, then "save" that money til I get back and you can use that money on me to go buy clothes so I can try them on and stuff.
So exchanges was good.  We switched plans in the middle of the day, so that was fun.  We did a lot of tracting which was good for her.  She's pushing herself in talking with people.  I just mostly tried to lead by example like Sister Ika did.  I'll send a pic next week.  I only have 10 more minutes left.  I had to write Saydi too.
But conference was absolutely amazing!
That temple in Provo!  So cool!  And Pairs is where Sister Wallace's dad served in the 60s!  He's a little younger than grandpa.  Crazy huh?
Yeah, a ton of talks on the Book of Mormon!  Elder Calliisters was the best!  So plain!  The Book of Mormon is from God or the Devil, there is no middle ground.  And Elder Richardson's about teaching by the spirit!  I’ve been trying to figure out what that means, forever and I think he nailed it on the head.  I need to go back and study that talk.  I can't wait til you send the conference Ensign!
And Elder Packer's talk.  Oh man.  That talk could have been written to anyone.  But he specifically gave it to the youth.  Powerful words indeed.  I second President Uchtdorf's comment, "The youth would do well to follow Elder Packer."   I loved how Elder Bednar took something that the youth are doing (video games and computers) and then sayd, "Use that talent for something good."  So amazing!
Elder Arden's talk on time was so simply amazing!  As well as Elder Cook's talk on Better to look up.  I needed that.  I guess Sister Wallace did to.  She doesn't think she's a good missionary.   I think I’m being too hard on her.  She is improving, which is good.  Maybe I'm not letting her teach as much.  Maybe I'm putting too much pressure on her.  I have no idea.  Man, I don't think I’m ever going to have kids.  It's so, so hard!  I never know if I'm doing the right thing, teaching the right thing in the right way.  Maybe I'll just be a hermit and never get married!  That's an idea!
Elder Christofferson’s talk on repentance was so simple and comforting too.  So maybe I should repent of that last comment.  Sorry Heavenly Father, I will have kids, if you want me to.  But you gotta help me raise them!
Elder Perry!  Yes go missionary work!  Use Mormon. org peoples!  I’ll teach you how to use it when I get home.  Amazing website!  Share it with your friends!  Everyone you meet!  Go to it, explore it!
Elder Hales was amazing too!  So so good!  And Elder Oaks!  Oh my gosh!  I want to hand that talk out to everyone I see!  So good!  Christ is real, and thanks to the restoration we know more perfectly who He is and what He excepts of us.
Did you not see a theme throughout conference that God's standards and the worlds standards are not the same?  I did.  It's hard to be LDS, but in the end it's the only path back to true happiness.  Stick with it kids and adults and all will be well!  That's what I got from President Monson's talk.  He's just awesome!
Elder Cornish's talk on prayer!  Wow!  So good!  Do the Lord's will!  And Elder Yamushita!  haha!  What an awesome and uplifting talk.  All missionaries and rms need to reread that talk to give them encouragement and uplifting thoughts.
Okay, time is up!  Love you all and thanks for all you do.
Love, Sister Ostler
A Powerful Promise
Dear people,
So for me this past General Conference, they talked a lot about the Book of Mormon.  They testified of it, told stories of how it had helped them in their lives, the power it had, the purpose of the book, etc.  I was studying a talk by Ezra Taft Benson yesterday, and in it he said about the Book of Mormon:
"There is a power in the book which will begin to flow into your lives the MOMENT you begin a SERIOUS STUDY of the book."
A serious study, the moment.  Wow!  A Powerful Promise!  He also promised this,
I know that our family is a living witness that this promise is true.  We used to pray that the spirit of contention would leave our home.  It really only did when we began to study and read the Book of Mormon together as a family.  Didn't Saydi and Jackson used to fight ALL THE TIME?  When did that stop?  About the time that we read the Book of Mormon.  Mowing lawns did help a lot, but I believe that when we picked that book up together as a family and started reading it the spirit in our house changed.  I know that I saw it.  I use that testimony every week when I am testifying of the truthfulness of the Book of Mormon.  It is true because it brought our family closer together.  I have seen a DRAMATIC change in our whole family life because of that Book.
So thank you mom and dad for making that a family goal to read from it's pages every day.  I know that that's what I want to do in my own family.
Love
Sister Ostler

No comments:

Post a Comment