Wednesday, November 16, 2011

I want to marry a guy like him!

Aloha Familia!

Thank you dad for reminding me about the weather.  I think it's funny when people tell me that it's cold where I'm at.  I obviously know that it's cold.  But I’ve been wearing my light spring/fall jacket to help me get used to it.  And so far there have only been a few unbearable days.  Sister Wallace is already cold.  California people!  I tell her that all the time and she just laughs.

No news about transfers.  Although Elder Vicars and Finn keep saying, "We'll see you at transfers!"  The thing is, is that I don't think they know about transfers.  I only have 3 left, which scares me.  There are no sisters coming in so I'm not going to be training, yay!!!!  I'm thankful for that.
Well sadly our two people we had on date are moving.  One has already moved, which I’m thankful for.  I didn't click with him and he's just kinda unstable I think.   And the other one, J is going through a ton of medical stuff and they are thinking of moving to Florida.  So sad because they are an awesome family!
But the good news is that J, or investigator, is doing awesome.  She is still struggling with a lot of questions that only God can answer.  We can help her along the way, but in the end it's God.  However, she does know that the end result of these visits we're having with her is baptism.  We have never mentioned baptism, but she knows it.  The ward is doing so well to fellowship her, and the Relief Society is very aware of her and is inviting her to non-church related activities, like going out the movies and what not.  She also plans on going to all the meetings for Stake Conference this weekend.  So that's super exciting!  She always has lots of questions, but it's a good thing too, because that means she really wants to learn and understand.  Although her questions are so hard!  Some I can't answer.  It was cool because she asked, "You guys do baptisms for the dead, how does that play in with free will?"  We turned to the Bible and supported that doctrine with Pauls words, then explained, with the help of our wonderful member, that they still have the right to accept the ordinance or deny it.
She is still having trouble with eternal marriage.  I don't think she thinks that's possible.  But in ward conference on Sunday President Evans, a true man of God, testified with much feeling and boldness of the truthfulness of that doctrine, "Why would God allow me to learn so much as a father and husband here on earth, and forge these relationships here and then to have that all taken away."  I want to marry a guy like him.  He is solid as a rock and will help out where ever he is needed.  He just an amazing man!
J also gave us a CD!!  So now we have more music!  It's really good songs too.  We have to skip some because the beat isn't in line with missionary standards.  I don't like how it makes me feel.  But most of the songs are appropriate.  It's all good, and J is just awesome!  All around we're just really excited for her.
At this point our goal is to go out and find the elect of God.  In the DeKalb ward our teaching pool is low.  We just got a new ward mission leader, and he's been wml before, and bishop, so he knows what he's doing and he knows a lot about missionary work and is willing to help get the ward on fire.  I think that this is going to be a good turning point for the DeKalb ward.
We are also working with the DeKalb ward to get a 555 list from them.  There are a few part-member families that we want to go visit frequently.  Plus less-active members usually know more people who haven't heard about the gospel before.  In fact one of the less-actives in Sycamore ward gave us one of her clients numbers who's struggling with the death of her husband.  Granit this woman is 80some years old and probably not all there, but we can prepare her to receive the gospel in the next life.  But our less-active member agreed to come with us when we visited her!  To us that's even more exciting.
I did receive the package.  And that was the most un-pointless pkg ever!  It was the best!  The Word of God through His prophets and music!  We've listened to the Hillary Weeks CD alot.  Dad, could you tell me what instrument they are playing in the song called "He Will" by Hillary Weeks?  It's the part when no one is singing.  It think it's a guitar, but I can't tell.  My music skills are going down the drain.
And I would be sooooooooooo happy to work for you again!  I need the $, really bad!
Mom, you asked if I include any of this stuff to President Doll.  Truth is that some of the stuff you read is stuff I type to him then just copy and past it in here.  Makes for a longer letter and the fact that I don't have to type things twice.
I don't think we're allowed to watch videos, even of family.  Our mind must be single to His glory--centered on the work.
Well I knew you were going to ask me that dumb question, "What do you want for Christmas?"
So I made a list of ideas;
*Zoneperfect/larabars
*Pictures of the family
*Testimonies of friends and families
*Stationary, not Christmas, but just fun stationery to write fun letters!
*Running shoes...although you should wait til I get home to get me those.  But you can tuck that money away for a few months.
*Calendar.  I loved the one you sent last year.
Again, those are just idea.
No sugar PLEASE!!!!  We have enough!  We will undoubtedly get enough!
Well I think that's all!
I've waited all week to tell you how much I love and appreciate all you do for me!  I'm so blessed to have such a loving, wonderful family who supports me 100% in what I’m doing.  I know that there's missionaries out here who don't have that.  Who are going home to much less than what I have.  Thank you for always being there for me.
And PLEASE! STAY STRONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I don't want to see anyone of you decide to suit up for Satan.
I love you and pray for you.
Thank you for your examples.
Love,  Sister Ostler      ps. have fun in HI!!!! 
Helaman’s Warriors - A lesson for our day
We all know the story of Helaman's stripling warriors.  They were taught by their mothers the truth and they didn't die.  Oh but let's look further into this story.
In Alma 56:56 we have an amazing verse.  It shows their faith in God.  They fought with the strength of God.  There were not MEN that fought with that much strength.  And these were just boys!  They were going from boyhood to manhood (that's what stripling means).  And they fought more mightier than men!  In fact when they came to the aid of Antiupsus men (vs 52) they gave them so much courage that they beat the Lamanites.  And it says in vs 56 that is was because of these youths valiant effort that the Lamanites surrendered.
Boys, my young brothers, Elder Holland's talk this GC was powerful!  His call was straightforward!  He called you to enlist in this battle we have today!  It's a fierce one, and he asked for stripling warriors.  Boys who know the truth and are willing to put their faith in God and live it.  It's hard to live the truth in these days.  Like in times of old the bad outnumber the good.  But if we turn to Alma 2 we see that even though the Amalicities and Lamanites outnumbered the Nephites, the "Nephites being strengthened by the hand of the Lord, having prayed mightily to him that he would deliver them out of the hands of their enemies, therefore the Lord did hear their cried, and did strengthen them, and the Lamanites and the Amaliciets did fall before them. (Alma 2:28)"
Just like these Nephites you can pray for the strength to over come evil.  There is evil all around you, especially at school.  And on tv and online.  Please don't participate in it!  Please!  It only leads to sadness.  I have seen it happen!  I have seen how sin destroys people's lives, and they wonder why their life is so miserable!
The evil in this world is more than the good, but you can be a modern day stripling warrior.  Suit up for the Lord's team NOW!!!  Everyday put on that armor by reading your scriptures, especially the Book of Mormon, and praying, going to church, and fulfilling your priesthood duties.  AND OBEYING YOUR PARENTS.  That's what the stripling warriors did, and they survived.  So will you.
I love you and miss you.  PLEASE don't fall!
I know you can fight this fight with the Lord's help!
Love,
Sister Ostler

No comments:

Post a Comment